In Craft.io, Discover is the place where you collect feedback, ideas, and feature requests – and connect those to the decision-making process of your product.
Strategic Insights (under the Strategy section) is where you can document all the relevant information to help articulate your Product Strategy. Here you can set your personas, add your product summary so that everyone is aligned, and describe your positioning and go-to-market strategy. Simply choose from multiple predefined topics, or create a custom topic of your own.
Using Predefined Topics
The following predefined topics are available within Strategic Insights:
- Summary – Describe your product and solution, what it does and why you are creating it.
- Personas – The characteristics used to describe the users of your product. These can be later assigned to specific stories.
- Objectives – The high-level goals your product is set to achieve (i.e., to increase your active user base). Objectives are an important part of your product roadmap and can be added directly from the roadmap view and managed here.
- Key Results – The means by which you plan to achieve your objectives (i.e., add an incentive for users to invite more team members). Key results are an important part of your product roadmap and can be added directly from the roadmap view but also managed from here.
- Target Audience – The customer/company segments you are targeting your product to.
- Labels – Category tags for indexing and filtering of your stories. Labels are added on the fly at the story level and managed here.
You can also add the following predefined topics:
- Positioning – How your product is positioned in the market segment, including your positioning statement.
- Competitive Landscape – Your competition, including key information you can enter about their products.
- Supported Platforms – The platforms your product is supporting and will support.
- Supported Browsers – The browsers and browser versions your product will support.
- Keywords – The main keywords representing your product.
- Terminology – The common terminology used by your product.
- Notification Events – The notification events your product will send out.
- 3rd Party Services – The 3rd party services your product will use.
- Environments – The technology stacks you will use to build your product.
Select Strategic Insights from the Discover menu:
Within Strategic Insights, you can create and manage product-related topics that form the strategy of a product. Some of them, Objectives, Key Results, Personas, and Labels - are useful product elements that come later in your product planning process. All other topics - Summary, Target Audience, Positioning, etc. relate only to the strategy ideation and are not part of the planning process.
Use the New button to add a new Topic, or to add a new item to the highlighted topic.
Adding a Custom Topic
In Craft.io you can also add your own custom strategic topic. Click +New Topic and select Custom from the dropdown menu:
Enter a Name and Description, and click '+Item' to add new items to your Topic.
Editing a Topic
To edit a Topic’s name or description, select the topic to edit from the Strategic Insights panel and double-click its name in the workspace. Alternatively, you can select 'Edit' from the Topic’s 3 dots menu in the workspace:
You can also use this menu to attach relevant files to your Topic, watch a Topic’s history and Share it with a view-only link.
Tip: Objectives and Key Results terminology can only be changed from the Workspace Settings.
Deleting a Topic
To delete a topic, select the topic to delete from the Strategic Insights panel. Open the 3 dots menu to the left of the Topic name in the workspace, and click Delete.
Note: The following Topics cannot be deleted: Objectives, Key Results, and Personas.