A comprehensive guide to Craft.io’s filters and search tools
Craft.io offers powerful filtering and search capabilities throughout the app. You can search and filter with tens of available filters, see instant results in every view and Workspace or inside the search panel.
You can filter your Workspace for the relevant data or use the Search Tool which acts as a separate module, allowing you to find specific results without affecting your current work. You can use your search results for a variety of functions such as navigating Features and Sections and assigning values to one or multiple items. You can also apply any query results to your current view or to any other workspace.
In this article, we'll cover:
- Creating a Filtered View using the filters toolbar
- Exporting your Filtered View
- Sharing your Filtered Views with external viewers
- Searching your Product using the Search tool
- Viewing and navigating Search results
Creating a Filtered View using the filters toolbar
- To open the filters toolbar, click on the filters icon:
Tip: By default, only Features with the status Open are listed. If you wish to include Features that have already been released, click 'Add filter' then select 'Item Status' and filter by either Released or All.
- The most commonly used filters are instantly visible and include filtering by Product, Section, and Item Type. In addition to these, you can click '+ Add Filter' to select from a range of other filters such as Release, Completion Status and much more.
- You can also run a free text search. The results will show all cases that match the words or phrases selected:
- To clear all selected filters, simply click the 'Clear' button to return the current view to its defaults.
Exporting your Filtered View
You can easily export any query results to a CSV or PDF file format. To export your results in any view, click on the Export icon from the top left toolbar. The filters in use will automatically apply to the exported file.
For more about exporting your product review this article.
Sharing your Filtered Views with external viewers
You can easily share your filtered workspace using view-only links. To share your results, click on the 'Share' button from the top toolbar. Your applied filters will automatically apply to the LiveShare view.
Searching your Product using the Search Tool
Click Search and Filter from the navigation bar;
You can start searching your product by entering free text or use one of the filters followed by colons.
To view a list of all available filters, click the Filters icon on the right and select from the list. For example, to filter by specific Sprints, select “Sprint:” from the Item Planning section and choose the desired Sprints from the list;
The image below displays the list of available filters:
Tip: Craft.io will automatically add the filter name for you again after you select a value; to exit this or search without adding another value, click Enter.
You can exclude your search results by using the 'Not' filters syntax or by adding the “-Not” text after the filter name (i.e., “Release-Not:”). For example, Release-Not: Parking Lot, will list all stories that were already assigned to a roadmap release, excluding the rest.
The following filters are available for this option:
Viewing and navigating Search Results
Once you see your query results in the search panel, there are a few things you can do to further explore them:
- A preview of the first three items from each type will appear; clicking “Show All” to see the full results for that type.
- You can expand your entire results so that everything appears as one long list.
- Clicking on any Item will open it in full detailed view.
- Clicking a Feature or Section will drill down in its hierarchy to show all the items in it. Click back from the top left of your results to get back to the original query results.
- Selecting one or more items will open the multi-action bar, allowing you to set values to the selected items (selecting a Feature or Section will select all of its items) as follow;
- Apply query results to your Product workspaces. You can view your search results in any workspace or view, choose it in the “View In” selector at the upper right side and click the arrow to apply;
After applying to the workspace, the filters bar will reflect your selections.
- Save your Search Queries for repeating search queries needed on an ongoing basis. Click on the Saved Searches icon, select the option to save the search, and apply a name to it:
For your convenience, a history of your latest search displays, you can always clear your search history.
Next up: Managing Custom Fields